Friday, March 13, 2020
Indian Prairie School District 204 released an updated statement on Thursday on COVID-19. As of Thursday, March 12, there have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 among the district’s students.
“District 204 is taking proactive measures to help to reduce the spread of illness throughout our community,” states the release.
The district states that it is not closing at this time, but will be implementing the following measures:
• Large gatherings that include visitors from outside the school who are not our students are canceled.
• All domestic and international trips are canceled.
• All school trips are canceled.
• All field trips are canceled, including community-based instruction.
• All outside speakers are canceled.
• STEPS program job sites are canceled.
• All staff travel for work-related conferences is canceled.
• Grades 9 through 12 athletic practices or competitions without spectators may continue as planned.
• Grades 6 through 8 athletic competitions without spectators may continue as planned.
• All building rentals, with the exception of the YMCA’s Safe n’ Sound program, are canceled effective Friday.
“If we do have a confirmed case of COVID-19 in District 204,” the district said, “we will close school for 24 hours. At that point, the [DuPage County Health Department] would help us assess the situation, evaluate our cleaning and disinfection practices, and reduce the risk and vulnerability to students. We would then work on a plan to move forward.”
“Until then, school will remain open and we will continue our cleaning and disinfection practices as directed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”
The district says if schools close, the public will be notified via Twitter, a phone call, e-mail and the district’s web site.
Waubonsie Valley’s music department canceled all of its Music In Our Schools concerts in the month of March, and various Waubonsie Valley academic curricular field trips have been canceled. Warrior athletic events and practices will continue, but without spectators.