CLASS OF 2018 Baccalaureate SPEAKER
One graduating senior will represent the class of 2018 by speaking at baccalaureate. This speech, written and delivered by the chosen senior, should consider the topics below when developing your speech. This speech is to be about three minutes in length.
- Describe how the Class of 2018 should handle adversity.
- Explain the difference between adapting to a changing world, and not conforming to it.
- What does it take to be truly happy in life?
- It’s now or never!
- Creating personal codes to live by….(while facing adversity).
- How have your roots shaped you into the person you are today and how will they help you progress in life?
- The power of perseverance
- No kind act goes unnoticed: many small actions add up to significant change
The following criteria have been developed to select this speaker:
Pmust have a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative average for seven semesters
Pmust never have had an out-of-school suspension in his/her high school career
Pmust have 90% attendance during senior year (excluding approved special circumstances)
Pmust have been enrolled at WVHS for four consecutive semesters (including the 2nd
semester of the 2017-2018 school-year)
Pmust be a graduating senior
Pmust use the approved speech at the baccalaureate ceremony
Wednesday, March 7th Handouts are available in the Senior House and on The Beat
Friday, March 16th A typed copy of the speech must be submitted to Mr. Dvorak by 2:30 PM in room 184 (Art Office)
The speech’s cover page must include:
- Student’s Name
- Student’s ID
- Title of Speech
These identifying aspects should only be noted on the cover page and not on the speech itself.
Monday, March 19th Through a blind read, typed speeches (identified by number only) will be read by a panel of judges. The panel will determine the three finalists using the following rubric criteria: addresses concept, content, clarity, tone, appropriateness, and time.
Tuesday, March 20th Three finalists will be notified that they WILL be giving their speeches Thursday. March 22nd during 5th hour.
Thurs, March 22nd during 5th hr. The three finalists will deliver his/her speech to a panel for final evaluation. MUST BE PRESENT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR SPEAKER.
Friday, March 23rd The speaker will be announced to the senior class.